About our Programs
About our Programs
Innovate to Grow has grown to encompass three signature threads of our campus' innovation culture:
You can read more about each of our unique and exciting programs below and via the menu links to your left.
The Innovation Design Clinic (IDC) takes place in engineering majors' senior years and involves groups of teams pulling and integrating all their coursework into one grand project challenge during the Capstone course experience. The capstone team projects take a variety of forms, such as:
- Industry-inspired projects
- Work for nonprofits
- Ideas that might become small businesses
- Work for government labs
The hard work that goes into senior design projects culminates in a rigorous competition during Innovate to Grow.
This UC Merced’s cornerstone engineering experience, designed to expose first-year students to the power of engineering; and, through continuing partnerships with local nonprofits, design meaningful solutions to the challenges they face. The unique opportunities presented by the Engineering Service Learning program are:
- Participation by students from all majors and grade levels
- Spans the course of a student's undergraduate career
- Developing ties to their communities through relationships with local nonprofits
The Mobile App Challenge, managed through CITRIS at UC Merced, encourages students to develop innovative mobile applications for today’s most pressing societal needs. Team projects take one of two forms:
Apps inspired by five focus areas: healthcare, energy, the environment, education and civic engagement. Teams are asked to design apps that support some of CITRIS's main goals and help better the world.
- Other teams showcase their projects from the Software Engineering CSE 120 course, such as games that can be played on smart phones and tablets.
We expect more than 300 people this year from industry, the community and K-12 schools, plus, of course, our UC Merced students and faculty and staff members.
Any questions or comments, leave us a note here.